Marinated Halloumi Kebabs with Rocket and Tomato Salad
Today's recipe is centered around Halloumi cheese. Halloumi, which originated in Cyprus, is generally made with a mixture of sheep and goat’s milk, and sometimes with cow’s milk too. It is loved for its squeaky texture and salty flavor. Because of its high melting point, halloumi can be grilled, barbecued or fried without losing its shape. Therefore, halloumi kebabs are a fantastic alternative to meat for the vegetarian barbecue lovers. Halloumi is also a great source of protein and calcium. What also special about this recipe is the use of spices, which add such flavors to the cheese and veggies. Will this recipe hold up with your crowd? Don’t knock it ’til you’ve tried it…
What you'll need:
- 250 g Halloumi Cheese , cut into large cubes
- 1 small red onion, cut into large chunks
- 1 red pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 small zucchini, cut into chunks
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 2 clove garlic, grated
- 1 tsp freshly grated ginger
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 10 wooden skewers
- 8-10 cherry tomatoes
- 2 large handful of rocket leaves
How it's made:
- Soak wooden skewers in cold water for at least 30 mins.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss gently. Cover the bowl with cling film and chill in the refrigerator for 30 mins.
- Thread the halloumi cubes, onion, zucchini, and peppers chunks onto the skewers then grill under a high heat for about 8-10 mins. Turn from time to time to prevent burning.
- On a large serving plate, lay out rocket leaves and tomatoes. Then top them with finished kebabs. Serve immediatly.