Raw Vegan Strawberry Cashew Frozen Cake
It has been boiling hot here in the SF Bay area in the past weeks. Popsicles, ice-creams, iced teas or anything cold in that matter seem to be the only things on our mind at moment. But then sometimes, I just wanted something more fancy and fulfilling. Something like a cake. But then I did not fancy the idea of switching on the oven in an already hot kitchen and sweat myself further than I do now. So I decided to do the opposite, stay close to my fridge and freezer and to make this raw vegan strawberry cashew frozen cake, which is super simple and easy to make, and gluten and refined-sugar free. Try it and let me know how it goes. Stay cool, people!
Serve 3-4 people
What you'll need:
- 1 1/2 cup cup raw pecan ( almond or walnut will also work)
- 1 cup soft Medjool dates
- 1 tbsp water
- ¼ tsp. sea salt
- 2 cups raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 4 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup raw blue agave syrup
- 1 cup fresh strawberry, cut in half
- 1/4 cup melted dark chocolate (more than 70% cocoa)
- Fresh strawberry and raspberry, or whatever fruits you like.
How it's made:
- To make the crust, blend nuts and dates with sea salt and water in blender until the nuts turn into crumbles and the mixture can stick together. Scoop out crust mixture in a 8” spring-form pan. I used the patisserie round cake mold from Pillivuyt ( because I like its shape) lined with clingfilm. Press the mixture firmly and evenly in the mold. Put it in the fridge for at least 20 mins. At the meantime, wash the blender.
- Now to make the cashew cream, in a powerful blender ( I used Vitamix pro 750), place raw cashews, lemon juice, vanilla extract, coconut oil, and blue agave syrup. Blend on high speed until the mixture is creamy and smooth.
- Take the crust out of the fridge, the pour half of the cashew mixture onto the rust and even it out with a spatula.
- Then add strawberries to the blender and blend it again until mixture becomes pinkish and smooth. Pour it onto the the raw cashew cream and spread it out evenly. Cover the cake pan or mold with clingfilm and place it in the freezer for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Take the frozen cake out 15 mins before serving. Drizzle melted dark chocolate over the frozen cake. Once the cake is slightly softened, but still firm, cut into pieces and serve with fresh berries.