When I have no time to cook and still want to have something healthy and delicious, this is my go-to salad. It is super easy and quick to prepare, and most of all, super versatile! By just changing one or more ingredients, you can repeat the salad as often as you like without feeling boring. All you need are the following:
- One kind of green salad leaves: rocket (arugula), watercress, spinach, kale, corn salad (lamb's lettuce), and etc.
- One kind of fruits (or veggies): orange, persimmons, pomegranate, avocado, strawberry, raspberry, apple, pear, fig, butternut squash (veggie option), and etc.
- One type of nuts or seeds: pine nut, pecan, walnut, hazelnut, almond, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and etc.
- Optional: one type of cheese: feta, blue cheese, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Grana Padano, cheddar, goat cheese, and etc. You can also leave this out, if you want to have it vegan.
- Really good balsamic vinegar
- Really good extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
For preparing this post, I made a vegan version of this salad without cheese. I added another fruit instead. However, I also posted a picture below of a salad with the cheese, which I made days ago for our Christmas dinner.
What you'll need:
500 g Lamb's lettuce (corn salad)
1 cup of walnut
1 cup of pomegranate seeds
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
How it's made:
1. Wash the corn salad thoroughly and remove excess water. Pour them into a big salad bowl.
2. Remove the peels of the oranges with a knife and cut them into thin slices. Add orange slices into the salad bowl.
3. Roast the walnuts in a medium-heated frying pan until they are slightly brown. Be careful not to burn the nuts. Then pour them into a small mixing bowl. Drench the nuts with 1/2 tbsp olive oil and a pinch of salt. Mix well. Then pour the nuts into the salad mix.
4. Add pomegranate seeds to the salad mix.
5. Add the balsamic vinegar and olive oil to the salad and mix well. Add salt and pepper to taste.