Leek is a great and detox superfood: it helps to promote good digestion and clean out the intestines. They also stimulate the liver, gall bladder and kidneys. French women are known to drink weekend leek detox soup to help them stay slim. Well, although weight control is not our goal here, if it tastes good and helps to keep our figure, why not?! Here is a delicious and simple leek and potato soup. Different from the traditional version, this one has included some spices to give it an extra kick. Enjoy!
What you'll need:
4 large potatoes, chopped into cubes
1 leek (around 10 cm), cut into small pieces
2 cloves of garlic, pealed and finely chopped
1 teaspoon of turmeric
1 teaspoon of cumin
a pinch of cayenne pepper, to taste
Salt and pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1 litre of water or vegetable stock
How it's made:
1. Heat a soup pot in medium heat and pour in olive oil. Put in leek pieces and fry until they are softened.
2. Add potatoes pieces, stir gently. Add water to the pot.
3. Bring the pot to boil and turn the heat further down and allow the mix to simmer until potatoes softens.
4. Add garlic, turmeric, cumin and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Using a hand mixer to puree the mixture to a creamy soup. If the soup is too thick, add additional water to adjust.
6. Serve the soup in small bowls and sprinkle some cayenne pepper on top.