Curry Pearl Barley Porridge with Tomatoes, Coriander, Lime and Almonds
What you'll need:
- 250 g pearl barley
- 2 clove garlic, grated
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 canned tomatoes, roughly chopped, or 3 fresh tomatoes (skin and seeds removed, and diced)
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- A handful of fresh coriander
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful of toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 3-4 small cherry tomatoes, cut into wedges
How it's made:
- Heat the oil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Added garlic and onion to the pot and sautéed until soft and fragrant. Then added curry powder, then continue to fry for 3-4 mins. Then add the pearl barley and salt, fry until the pearl barley is well coated.
- Added the canned tomatoes, or diced fresher tomatoes, continue to stir until pearl barley and tomatoes are well combined.
- Added 200 ml of vegetable stock into the saucepan, Cook, stirring frequently, until the liquid is absorbed. Then add the other 200 ml vegetable stock and repeat the process until the liquid is mostly absorbed. Taste the pearl barley to check it is cooked, if not, add some more water and continue to cook.
- When the pearl barley is cooked through, add squeezed lime juice. Then add salt and pepper to taste. Finally, top the pearl barley with fresh coriander and chopped almonds. And serve.