Asparagus with Cherry Tomato and Strawberry Relish
One sure sign of spring is fresh asparagus in the farmers' markets and in the grocery stores. We have no excuse not to get off our butt and get some. The sweetest, most flavorful asparagus is always the ones that come from closest to us because the sugars in asparagus will very rapidly convert to starches once they've been picked. I picked up these beautiful purple asparagus from the farmers' market the other day, along with heirloom cherry tomatoes and strawberries. They were so fresh and the colors were so vibrant that I just had to buy them. So I prepared the following dish, which I think really brings out the best flavors out of these fresh spring produce. Hope you will enjoy it too!
What you'll need:
- 150 g heirloom cherry tomatoes, cut into small cubes
- 200 g strawberries, cut into small cubes
- 5 g parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 400 g purple asparagus or green asparagus, peel the bottom half with a peeler and cut the last 1 cm.
- 1/2 small shallot, thinly slices.
- Salt and Pepper to taste
How it's made:
- First add cherry tomatoes and strawberry cubes into a mixing bowl. Then add 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar. Finally, chopped parsley leaves. Mix well and set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to boil and blanch asparagus for about 3 mins. Take the asparagus out straight away and put under running cold water to cool and drain. Heat a griddle with medium to high heat. When the griddle is hot, then add 1 tbsp olive oil. Turn the heat down to medium. First, sautéed the shallot slices for about 1-2 mins. Then add asparagus. Season the asparagus with salt and pepper. Use tongs to turn the asparagus from time to time, to make sure all sides are cooked through. Use a fork to stick into the asparagus to check if it is cooked through. Will be roughly around 5-10 mins.
- Once the asparagus are cooked, place them on the plate. Add the cherry tomato and strawberry relish on top and serve.