Red beet risotto with garlic sautéed green
It is hard to resist beets at moment. They look so fresh, juicy and vibrant at the farmers' market. I have tried various recipes of making beets before, beet chips for the kids, beet coconut soup, but now I just found another way to enjoy not only the beet, but also their greens. Never waste a bit! It is such a flavorful dish with the most eye-pleasing colors. I would definitely recommend it as a dinner party dish to impress your guests.
What you'll need:
- 4 medium sized red beets with greens
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large purple onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 cup Arborio risotto rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
How it's made:
- Preheat an oven to 180ºC.
- Remove the green from the beets and set aside. Place the beets in a small baking dish, put into the oven and roast until the beets are tender when pierced with a knife, roughly about 1 hour. Once the beets are cooled, peel and cut into 1 cm cubes. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, add remaining 3 tbsp of olive oil. Add the onion, stir occasionally, until softened, about 5-8 minutes. Then add the rest of the garlic and stir. Add the rice and keep stirring until the rice is transparent, about 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the wine and stir until the liquid is completed absorbed. Add the vegetable stock gradually, stirring constantly. When the liquid is almost absorbed, then add more stock.
- Meanwhile, roughly chop the beet greens and stems. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat, add in 1 tbsp olive oil. Once the pan is medium hot, stir in 1/2 tsp of grated garlic and fry until fragrant. Add the beet greens and stems, stir occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- When the rice is tender but firm to the bite, after about 15-20 minutes, remove from the heat. Add the beets and stir well until the risotto is pink. Season with salt and pepper. Divide the risotto between 4 bowls or plates and carefully use a fork to place the beet greens on the risotto and serve.