Vegan ice cream? How does that taste? I would be surprised if you don't ask me that question. Well, it is delicious, BUT you have to get used to the taste. For people who haven't eaten much vegan good before, they forget sometimes that how much their bodies and brains are programmed to like dairy products or things with lots of sugar and salt. Therefore, they tend to find the vegan food are plain, boring, and strange at first, and then they refuse to try it again. Well, it happened to me before, too. However, once I realized my own habits, I decided to give them another try, and another try. Slowly my body started to adjust itself and I began to enjoy vegan dishes more and more. That's also how I started to make my own vegan ice creams and I really love them now. What I adore the most from this ice cream is the added flavors and smells of cardamon and rosewater. Be adventurous and enjoy!
This ice cream needs to be prepared at least 24 hours before served.
What you'll need:
- 250 g unsalted shelled pistachios, shelled removed.
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
- 800 ml coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp rose water
- 8 tbsp agave syrup
How it's made
- Soak pistachios in water for at least four hours. Then drain the soak water. Blend the pistachios with 200 ml of coconut milk in a high speed blender until a smooth mixture is formed. Set aside.
- Use another 100 ml of coconut milk to mix with cornstarch. Whisk thoroughly until the cornstarch is dissolved. Set aside.
- Pour the rest of coconut milk into a sauce pan on medium-low heat. Add cardamon powder, agave syrup and salt. Stir constantly to make sure everything is fully dissolved.
- Add the pistachios mixture and the cornstarch mixture into the sauce pan and whisk gently until mixture is well combined.
- Continue to cook for 5-8 mins, until the coconut milk mixture is thickened enough to coat the back of the spoon, then remove from the heat. Never bring the coconut mixture to boil.
- Add rose water into the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into a container. Allow the mixture to cool down to room tempreture before refrigerating. Cover the container and leave in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the container from the fridge. Add the mixture into the ice cream machine and start the machine. Depending on your ice cream machine, it normally takes about 20-30 mins until the mixture is creamy and has a texture of soft ice cream.
- Transfer the mixture into a freezer container, cover the mixture with a sheet of baking paper to prevent the surface from forming ice crystals. Freeze the mixture for at least 4 hours before serving. If the ice cream is too hard, then wait for a few minutes. Then serve.