Coconut Belgian Waffles for Mother's Day
This is the first blog post I am writing from my new home in San Francisco Bay, California. Yes, for those who don't know, we moved from Stuttgart, Germany to the other side of the ocean about a month ago. And we love it!!! The weather is truly amazing. I really have to curb the urge to go outside just because the sun is shining. Well, I will get used to it, eventually. ;-) Apart from the weather, what we also love about here are the fresh produce and super friendly people. But again, everything is hang with the weather I believe. Good weather yields fantastic fruits and vegetables. And people are always in a good mood because sunshine makes them happier. Simple!
Now, let's talk bout upcoming Mother's day. Have you thought about it yet? I have got a few ideas for presents for you and they are all in this coconut waffle breakfast.
Firstly, how about making some delicious waffles for breakfast in bed for her? Well, as a mother, I know for sure I would love that! These coconut waffles is so easy to make and taste absolutely fantastic. The recipe is actually taken from the recipe book of Vitamix. I discovered it while learning how to use Vitamix in different ways. ( I was intrigued to find out how versatile the machine is in terms of preparing different types of food. Before, I just thought I can make smoothies, soups and nut butter with Vitamix, but there are so much more. Now, following the recipe book, I have made whipped cream, pastry dough, and ice cream, and man more.) When I saw this recipe of coconut waffles, I knew I just have to try it and we loved these waffles. So easy and fun to make! As mother's day coming, I thought this would be the perfect thing to make for breakfast. Note: there is also a Mother's Day sale on Vitamix's webshop!
Secondly, the waffles are served on the beautiful ceramics from Haselmann Pottery. Every mug, plate, and bowl crafted entirely by hand. It takes least three weeks for them to finish a piece. Hence, they are very special. Haselmann Pottery has kindly to offer a 10% discount for those shop on their webshop. Discount code is "LUMADELINE".
Last, but not least, what about a waffle maker for her? Well, because I have to leave most of my electronics in Germany because they don't work in the U.S, I was forced to let go of my beloved Waffle makers as well. Therefore, one of the first things I must get since we arrived in the U.S. was a good waffle maker. And I found it! It is even better than what I had in Germany.
The waffle maker is the Belgian waffle maker with pancake plates (WAF-300) from CuisinArt. I found it during my google research and read tons of review about it. But here are why I love about the machine:
- It can make both waffles and pancakes. One stone kills two birds! Just perfect for our Sunday breakfasts.
- The waffle and pancake plates can be easily taken out and washed (even dishwasher proof). I love everything that is easy to be cleaned.
- The timer built in the machines reminds me that the waffles are ready and the result is just perfect! No undercooked or burned waffles any more.
So yes, through my personal experience, I highly recommend this waffle maker for you and your Mom.
Hope you like the ideas and find them useful. Enjoy the waffles and Happy Mother's day!
Make 12 waffles
What you'll need:
- 1 3/4 cups (220g) All-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp (25g) sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 large organic eggs
- 400 ml light coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 6 tbsp (85 g) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (60 g) unsweetened shredded coconut
How it's made:
- Place flour, sugar, and baking powder in a medium-sized mixing bowl and stir by hand to combine.
- Place eggs, coconut milk, butter and shredded coconut into the Vitamix container in the order of listed and firmly secure the lid. Select Variable 5 and blend for 10 seconds.
- If you don't have Vitamix, use a hand mixture to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the wet mixture into dry ingredients and whisk well together.
- Place 3 tbsp batter onto each square on a preheated waffle maker (Bake according to manufacturer's instructions).
- Garnish with mixed berries, vanilla ice cream, dark chocolate sauce and toasted almonds.