Halloween Treats: Ghost Meringues (with Vegan and Vegetarian Options)
Boo! Getting into Halloween spirit with some ghost meringues. I have included a recipe with vegan and vegetarian options for you to try. It is super fun to make these with the kids. The older children can pipe the ghosts by themselves and the little ones can help to make the ghost faces. Have fun!
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup brine from a can of chickpeas or 3 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Black food coloring
How it's made:
- Preheat the oven to 225F/100C. Line two baking trays with baking paper.
- Add brine or egg whites into a stand mixer or a mixing bowl.
- Start whipping, adding lemon juice, cream tartar, and sugar, 1 tbsp spoon a time. Whisk until mixture is thick and glossy.
- Scoop the mixture into a piping bag and squeeze into ghost shapes. In comparison to egg white, whipped brine doesn't hold that long. Need to work fast and place the baking tray into the oven.
- Bake for about 1 to 1 1/4 hour. Just switch it off and leave the oven door slightly open. Let the ghosts to dry for another 2-3 hours or overnight.
- Make eyes and mouth with black food coloring.