*This post is created in collaboration with Del Monte Fresh.
Dutch baby or German pancake is a special kind of pancake that is large, fluffy and baked in the oven instead of fried in the pan. It is fantastic for breakfast, brunch, lunch, and dessert on any day and for any occasion. The best part is, it is super easy to make and takes about just 5 mins. All you need to do is taking some measurements for the ingredients, cracking an egg, dumping everything into a blender, switching on the machine, giving it a good mix, pouring the batter into a pre-heated skillet with some butter, and popping it into the oven. Then comes the hard part, waiting for 15-20 mins until it is cooked, then voila! Then you can either eat on its own or add the toppings of your choice. All in all, this is a perfect dish, not only to impress, but also to share.
I have made a lot of these Dutch baby pancakes in the past for our weekends' breakfast, and most of the time they were sweet. Today, I am sharing a recipe for a savory version, which is equally delicious, if not more. The basic batter is pretty much the same for the sweet and savory version, all you need to do is adjusting the sugar and salt proportions, or adding some cheese in the savory version, in the recipe. The selection of toppings, however, is the key. I like to use a variety of vegetables that have different colors, textures, and flavors. I used Del Monte Fresh Hass avocados, which gives that creamy and umami taste (come on, let's face it, avocado is just good on everything, no?); then the Del Monte Fresh tomatoes, which are super juicy, slightly sweet and sour at the same time; watermelon radish, which is vibrantly pink and crunchy; arugula salad, which has a herbaceous, peppery flavor with nuances of nuts and mustard; and finally, some cilantro leaves. You can also use parsley, if you prefer.
What you'll need:
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 3 large eggs
- ¾ cup whole milk
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- 1/2 Del Monte Fresh avocado, sliced
- 1/2 Del Monte Fresh tomato, diced small
- 1/2 watermelon radish, thinly sliced
- Small handful of arugula leaves
- Small handful of cilantro or parsley
How it's made:
- Heat oven to 425F/220C. Put an ovenproof skillet into the oven to heat it up.
- Add flour, salt, pepper, eggs, and milk. Blend them together until well combined.
- Take the skillet out of the oven, melt the butter and give the skillet a good swirl so that the butter coats the bottom and the side of the pan.
- Pour batter into pan and scatter cheese (optional) over the top. Bake until puffed and golden, about 25 minutes.
- Add the toppings on top of the pancake and serve warm.