Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
What you'll need:
- 1 flax egg (1 tbsp ground flax seeds + 3 tbsp warm water)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar/brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
How it’s made:
- Cream vegan butter and coconut/brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in maple syrup, and flax egg mix. Then add the remaining ingredients, and gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake until the edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
For the icing:
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 cup organic powdered sugar, sifted
- 1-2 tablespoons plain unsweetened almond milk
Prepare the icing: In a large mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and powdered sugar. Mix in the almond milk 1 tablespoon at a time until the texture is thick but pliable. Transfer the icing to a sandwich-sized sealable bag. Squeeze out any air, then seal the bag. Use scissors to cut a tiny hole (about 1 mm) in one of the bottom corners. Decorate the cookies as you desire. Let your imagination go wild!