If there is one thing I wish I could have more, it is time! Being a mom and a blogger/photographer, my schedules are pretty packed, esp. during week. I always work as much as I could when the kids are in school, and once they are off and back home in the afternoon, I stop and spend time with them. I do my fair share of driving duties of taking them to their hobbies and after-school activities and make sure they complete their homework. Then it is dinner and bedtime. But my day doesn't end once they are asleep, I would normally work a bit more (editing photos, research new recipes, do my taxes, etc) in the evening before I go to bed. During the week, it is really quite hectic...
That's why I really love our weekend special breakfast with waffles, crepes or pancakes. It is a family ritual to spend the time together deciding what to make, making them and eating them together (slowly, compared to the rushing breakfast during the week). We have already got standard recipes that we absolutely love, but recently I started to venture out and try some new gluten-free recipes. This is one of them. It is really fluffy and soft and has an earthy flavor from the buckwheat flour. The secret ingredient is...applesauce!
The other thing that I love and helps me tromendously with keeping up with my schedules is the beautiful watch from Cluse. Their watches have simple yet elegant design. Exactly the kind of style I like. One of my favorite designs is this Minuit Rose Gold White/Caramel. But they have new limited-edition collections coming out that I adore as well.
Here is the recipe and hope you like it and will try it soon. Have a great day, wherever you are!
What you'll need:
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 fresh lemon (makes 2 tsp lemon zest, 1/2 tbsp lemon juice)
- Coconut oil for frying the pancakes
- Suggested toppings: strawberry, raspberry, blueberry, chopped almond, maple syrup.
How it's made:
- Add apple sauce, almond milk and vanilla extract to a medium sized mixing bowl or a stand mixer or a blender, and give a quick stir or mix, and set aside.
- Then add in buckwheat flour, baking powder, and salt into the apple sauce mixture. Mix or blend all the ingredients well together.
- Add in the lemon zest and lemon juice and give another quick stir/mix.
- Heat up the pan on medium high heat. When it is hot, add 1 tsp coconut oil and 1/3 cup of batter into the pan. When the down side of the pancake is turning light brown, and top side started to have bubble form, flip it. Cook until both sides are brown. Remove the pancake from the heat. Repeat until all the batter is used up. Serve
- Top with fresh fruits, nuts and maple syrup.
*In collaboration with Cluse Watch.