Breakfast or snack? How about both?! We are a waffle family and we always make tons of waffles on the weekend. then sometimes we didn't finish them during breakfast. Then we make them into popsicles, topped with some of our favorite nuts and dried berries or drizzled with peanut butter or white chocolate. They are perfect for picnics or kids' birthday parties.
What you'll need:
- 2 large eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar (optional)
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate (>70% Cocoa), melted
- Suggested toppings: freeze dried raspberry, pistachio, cocoa nibs. vegan white chocolate (melted), peanut butter (melted), toasted almond flakes, desiccated coconut, dried rose petals, and etc.
How it's made:
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, add egg yolks, milk, melted butter, and vanilla extract and mix well together. In a another bowl, combine flour, sugar and baking powder. Mix the wet and dry ingredients together until well combined. Beat the egg whites with pinch of salt until stiff peaks form. Fold into gently into the batter.
- Preheat the waffle iron and bake the waffles according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown. Set the waffles aside on the cooling rack to cool.
- Cut the waffles into wedges, stick a popsicle stick into each waffle wedge.
- Dip the top part of the waffle wedge into the dark chocolate, then top with preferred toppings, leave it dry for a few mins. Have fun with different toppings and drizzles. Serve warm or cold.