Vegan Strawberry Ice-cream with Dark Chocolate Soy Sauce Drizzle with Electrolux
If I ask you what you think of soy sauce and ice-cream combo, you probably think I am crazy. Soy sauce is a vital component of Asian cuisines. It may sound very surprising, but soy sauce does work wonders in desserts. Soy sauce is traditionally made with soybean, wheat (but you can get gluten free version, too) water and salt, which is then fermented and aged. Its unique flavors are developed during this ferment process. It is said that all the five basic flavors, sweet, sour, salty, bitter and umami, can be found in soy sauce, which why it goes so well with so many different kinds of food.
The reason why soy sauce and ice-cream can match so well is due to their strong contrast of flavors. When two or more different flavors are combined together, it helps to amplify a specific flavor of a dish. You might be familiar with adding salt during baking, which helps to bring out the sweet taste. Or rub lime with papaya to enhance the flavor of the fruit. The same works with soy sauce and ice-cream. Its savory taste of soy sauce can make your ice-cream taste richer and sweeter. In this recipe, I added the soy sauce into the dark chocolate sauce to maximize its flavor. In fact, you can barely taste the soy sauce in the final drizzle, but the rich, creamy, bitter and sweet dark chocolate sauce.
The ice-cream base in this recipe is a non-dairy one. I have been experiencing different type of vegan ice-cream recently and am really loving them. They are very creamy and have this nutty and earthy flavor because of the planted-based milks. I also replaced sugar with a healthier option of maple syrup. To make the recipe, I used the Electrolux Masterpiece Immersion Blender * to blend up the ingredients. I really love using a hand blender as it is easy, light, powerful, flexible and super easy to wash (many parts of this immersion blender are dishwasher safe).
So again, I am asking you, will you add soy sauce to your sweet dishes? You won't believe how good it tastes!
What you'll need:
Vegan Ice-cream Base:
- 150 g Strawberry
- 180 g of cashew pieces
- 150 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 500 ml organic soy milk or any other plant-based milk
Chocolate Soy Sauce Drizzle
- 175 g dark chocolate (> 70% cocoa)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
Additional topping: toasted almond flakes.
How it's made:
- Blend everything together for about 5 mins until it is creamy.
- Churn the mixture in an ice-cream machine for 15 mins. Take the mixture out of the ice-cream machine and put into a freezer box. Freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- If you don't have an ice-cream machine, you can simply freeze the mixture for 4-6 hours. Take them out, let it rest a bit to unfreeze, then blend again before eating.
- To make the dark chocolate drizzle: in a small saucepan, bring 2 cups of water to a boil over high heat, then turn the heat down to medium. Place a heat-proof bowl on top of the saucepan and add 1 cup of dark chocolate to melt. Stir constantly. Then add maple syrup, soy sauce and coconut oil. Stir until well combined and desired consistency achieved.
- Serve the ice-cream scoops with the dark chocolate soy sauce drizzle and toasted almond flakes.